TOTAL KMS COMPLETED 2290

TOTAL KMS COMPLETED 2290

The Route and Progress

The Route and Progress
May 23, 2010 Susa, Italy

Friday, May 28, 2010

26.05.2010 Villafranca – Ponzano Superiore








We have been retracing our steps for the past two or three days, but now we are retracing our friendships too. Having met Heiko and Susan through my last VF blog, the contact has been maintained and now we are meeting them in Aulla with a view to walking back to their home in Ponzano Superiore, which is also on the VF route. The morning walking is generally easy, though with a long stretch on the SS26, which is inevitably unpleasant. Nevertheless, our meeting in Aulla proceeds as planned and we walk the last 10km over the final hills and into Ponzano Superiore, yet another village teetering and spilling down the steep hillsides where Heiko has arranged 5-star accommodation for Nellie and a couch in his home for us. We, and more importantly our animals, are going to have a 3-day rest before the return journey to Arles along the Italian coast, tracing a new route that will link the St James Way to its counterpart in Italy, the via Francigena. Uncharted territory.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Paul & Babette,

    I sent this as an e-mail too, but not sure what you might be reading as you walk. If you can respond my e-mail is danielkaufer@yahoo.com

    My wife and I are now walking from Rome to Santiago. We are using your book as far as Vercelli, where we plan to turn toward Montgenvre and then Arles. I am now reading the blog of your just completed walk of that section in the other direction, to try to get any route information I can.

    Did you keep, if so, can I beg, borrow or buy your GPS tracks for the part from Vercelli to Montgenevre and then to Arles? I have to admit to low level tech skills, so I am not sure how to convey them.

    We are now in Lucca, heading to Pietrasanta tomorrow. It seems that we only rarely find a wi-fi connection, but please let me know if you have any GPS tracks (I have a garmin gps) or other useful route finding info.

    Thanks very much
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, I hope you get this message. I will be walking the route the same way as you and would like to know if you have any notes or info to share. I am just starting out looking for blogs, forums and websites, collecting them so I can start studying the route. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you....

    ReplyDelete